Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Well, duh!


I have been struggling with finding a way that help me learn something about God. Many times I hear a sermon, read a verse, or read a devotional book and I think, "I know that already." After growing up my whole life in the church, I feel like I have heard it all. I anticipate to hear something new because I always want to learn something new about God. A sermon, verse, or book should be those things that bring that right? When I don't learn something new, I become discouraged in my Christian faith. I feel like every day I should have a revelation. But I have come to the realization that even if I "know it", doesn't mean that I shouldn't try to apply it to my life. I think that is what I have been missing. Where the rubber meets the road.

For example, I hear "God loves you." I think, "we'll, duh, why else would he send his son to die?" 
I hear "We need to love others." I think, "Uhm, I know that! Philippians 2 says to be just like Christ!"

But, what I don't do is try to think about ways I can apply those ideas to my weaknesses. After having a long conversation with my mom, I realize that I could have sounded more loving to her. Oh wait, that is what the speaker at church was talking about. *Conviction*

So here it goes, I'm going to battle my weaknesses with what I have grown up with knowing. I am just mad at myself for not realizing this sooner.

Hannah



No comments: