Monday, June 15, 2009

Prayer? ~ What do we pray? When do we pray? Does God ever listen?

Is there ever a point when we don’t need to pray about something?

Philippians 4:6
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done. If you do this you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:7
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you.


Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you!


Philippians 4:6 is a wonderful verse. Wouldn't it be wonderful to give God all our thoughts, all our worries, and all our needs? This verse clearly states that when we do give (tell) him all our thoughts, worries, and needs, we will experience a peace that is "More wonderful than the human mind can understand". A piece of heaven's peace.


How should we pray in front of people?

Sometimes I feel the pressure to pray a marvelous prayer to God… to show other people that I am a Christian.. that I read my Bible everyday and that I earnestly search for him all the time. This is not entirely true. It is REALLY hard for me to sit down and read the Bible… or spend some quiet time with him. I have found that God only searches for the heart of the person praying. He cares about what is being said aloud but also takes into consideration the heart of the person praying. Who is the ultimate person we are praying to? WHO is it that we are carrying the conversation with? It’s not with the other people around us… it is only with the one and only true God. We are praying for other people yes… but we do not need to show a mighty prayer to be healed. Only what God wants us to pray is sufficient. We don’t heal the person hurting with our marvelous words… God does.

Don’t be a hypocrite and pray only publicly so everyone can see them praying, cause that is all the award they are ever going to get (Matt 6:5)
When you do pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you (Matt 6:6)
When you pray don’t babble on an on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered only by repeating their words again and again. Don’t be like them, because your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him! (Matt 6:7-8)


Doesn't this verse contradict the other verses about the persisten widow (Luke 18:1-8)?

In Luke 18 it says that God will give justice to his chosen people. We will have no idea what His justice will look like. But, if God always knows exactly what we need... why pray?
As I have said before its the heart God looks after. God has opened a way for us to communicate with him. He is always listening. How do I know? When I went to Cloud 9 (A Vineyard youth retreat), I had this impression put on me that I need to know more of God, specifically through his many names. So I bought a book at the Family Christian stores and I went partially through a book called "Praying the Names of God". This is the second name in the book. The time when this name is used is when Hagar is lonely in the desert because Sarai has become harsh towards her. The story is in Genesis 16. Hagar is noticed by God and told by him to go back. That he will make her son a growing nation of thousands. Hagar then used his name.......El Roi: You are the God who Sees me. God noticed her when no one else wanted or was able to. He turned her from her destitutness and told her to 360; to turn around and go back. God is always watching and cares.
We should be greatful God lets us communicate with Him. We are but a speck of dust yet he cares greatly and deeply for us.
Why do I say communicate? Well.. We aren't just talking to God are we? Since God is always watching we can communicate our love for Him by the way we act in the world. God doesn't always talk to us... does he? No. I have had strange feelings come over me... or some people have had someone in their thoughts and know God wants them to be prayed for.

"He is watching you, I know because I asked Him to."

No comments: